Skip to content


The grand total for January was 54 volunteer work days with 179 hours labor.

Sunday, January 27th, 2013

It was cold this week! Much effort was given to keeping the chicken’s water bowls from freezing.


Today we had three volunteers who worked 11 hours

We opened up broadway and gave away about 2 or 3 bags of clothes

We cooked up a soup with a beet harvest and hardboiled eggs

The soup and eggs fed about 30 people

We met a local youth theater group that will be coming by to volunteer during warmer weather

We distributed some pots of soil to neighbors who are growing plants for spring/summer transplanting


image3 image6

frosty beets make a good soup!

frosty beets make a good soup!


Saturday, January 26th, 2013

On Thursday, the volunteer from Jobpath came for 3.5 hours

On Friday we met with a journalist for an hour. She is writing a story for Brooklyn Paper

On Saturday we had 4 volunteers for 15 hours work

We opened Broadway and Stockton

We gave away about 1 full trashbag of clothes

We did a lot of flyering for the fundraiser

We turned the compost twice this week and reinvigorated it with veggie pulp from Kiwi’s

We re-upped the water jug


The tally for Monday, 1/13/13 through Sunday 1/20/13 was over 6 work days we had 22 volunteers who worked about 69 hours.

Sunday, January 20th, 2013


Today at the farm we had 6 volunteers for about 13 hours work.

We gave away some clothes and 5 dozen eggs.

We installed the new sliding window

We caulked the holes in the metal roof

We started building a toolshed extension on the coop

We spread woodchips




Saturday, January 19th, 2013


Today at the farm we had 3 volunteers for about 15 hours work.

Yesterday we worked for about 9 hours

Thursday we worked for about 4 hours

we got the metal roof up on the chicken coop

we led a workshop about composting at the silent barn

we rescued a nice sliding window set we will add to the coop

Friday we met with a local middleschool/highschool that will be building a gazebo for stockton street

-the students will be coming for 2 hours, 4 days every week from February til school ends for the summer

Thursday we had a volunteer come from job path to work on the farm. He will be coming every Thursday.

We prepped about 40 fig cuttings for tree propagation.





Tuesday, January 15th, 2013

Today at the farm we had 7 volunteers for a total of about 18 hours work.

One volunteer donated some tools to the farm

We recovered more insulation for the coop and some metal hardware cloth for a new compost bin

At stockton we completed the front side of the coop and most of the door side

We installed a new door handle with a locking mechanism.


Monday, January 14th, 2013


Today at the farm we had two volunteers for a total of 12 hours.

We had a meeting for future fundraising.

At stockton we finished-finished the back wall with an exterior of 1x6s.




Sunday, January 13th, 2013


Today at the farm we had 5 volunteers for a total of about 16 hours work.

We got more christmas tree chips from mulchfest

We found 2 small bathtubs to use for a duck pond and possibly a large wormbin

at broadway we:

gave 5 dozen eggs and some clothes and books away

added more christmas tree mulch to the front

at stockton we:

cleared and graded the beehive area

added more christmas tree mulch

cut the remaining metal pieces for the coop roof

added another piece of the wall to the coop

built a door and framed another window to the coop




Saturday, January 12th, 2013

coop construction

coop construction

Today at the farm we had 11 volunteers for about 30 hours total.

One man brought 2 boxes of books for donations to give away on sunday.

One volunteer brought a worm bin to begin raising worms for chicken feed.

Mulchfest is this weekend. We loaded one carfull and spread the pine chips at broadway and stockton. It smells good.

At broadway we turned the composts which are almost finished.

At stockton we:

cut metal for half the roof, we will complete it tomorrow hopefully

insulated with styrofoam and finished the back wall

installed a removable window

covered the front base of the coop.






January 6th, 2013


This weekend we:

opened broadway and stockton for saturday and sunday.

at broadway we:
cleaned the chicken coop
turned the compost
distributed 5 dozen eggs
distributed 4 bags clothes
had many visitors, two of which brought us 3 silkie chickens

at stockton we:
installed 4 new windows for the chicken coop. There are now 8 windows and two half completed sides
introduced two new farm cats donated by local neighbors. The cats are living in the unfinished coop
met a new friend who may be donating a worm bin

on saturday we had 3 volunteers for a total of 15 volunteer hours
on sunday we had 4 volunteers for a total of 16 volunteer hours

chicken coop construction

photo2photo chicken coop construction

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: